Thursday, November 12, 2009

June 2009 Email/Homepage

June 2009
Hello to All, and I again extend my appreciation for your understanding in this transition. I would appreciate any feedback about the workings of the clinic – I still won’t hire someone to answer the phone, but you can share with me how much you hate voice mail, and I will listen…
Here is an article about the medical model I am striving to achieve… of note, many of these medical models have a membership fee and I do not plan to do that because you all have been good enough to come in for an appointment when you need me…
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/07/health/07health.html?emc=eta1
Everything has slowed down after cold and flu season, so if you have some little things that have been bothering you and have not made time for yourself, there are same day appointments available every week, and I am only booking out about one week for physical appointments.
One unfortunate business decision that I had to make this month was breaking off negotiations with Medicare. FYI – you don’t really negotiate with Medicare; it is more of a “take it or leave it” scenario, so I left it. Nurse practitioners get a 20% pay cut from the regular physician fee, and if you do not implement e-prescribing and a Medicare approved electronic medical record, you get another pay cut. So since I would actually be paying to see Medicare patients, I opted out of the system for 2 years. I am hoping things will change as more and more people appreciate nurse practitioners as an important part of the health care team. Medicare patients will privately contract with me on a fee-for-service basis with a discount for paying at time of service. I am having a meeting for any interested parties (even those close to Medicare enrollment) on Tuesday, June 9th at 5pm.
Now for the fun…
I am having an Open House on July 3rd from 4-9pm. It will correspond with Art Walk in the Village, and there will be art and hopefully some music. All children who are of walking age are welcome to come in at 1pm that day to paint a mural in my hallway. You can paint anything – handprints are accepted! The clinic will be open for walk-in/urgent appointments only from 9am to 1pm. Hope to see you there!
If you cannot make it to this Art Walk, I will have art at the clinic on August 7th and September 4th.
Have a great summer! I know I will!!
Kristina