Thursday, November 12, 2009

September 2009 Email/Homepage

September 2009 Updates

First of all, thank you, thank you, and thank you! It was a wonderful summer with some 3 day mini vacations and more time with my family and friends. My children remember who I am and I am enjoying the practice of medicine again. The winter will be interesting because there will be some days where I have very few open appointments. Just email Michele or me for availabilities, and we will find a place for you and your family.

Due to the winter getting busier, I will be seasonally opening up some Wednesday afternoons. This means that from September to May, I will open up the online schedule for appointments on the Wednesdays I am in the clinic. If there are no appointments available and you need to be seen on Wednesday, email or call and we can make some arrangements to get you in. Also, please verify the date of the visit whenever you make an online appointment, as AppointmentQuest will find the first available 15 minute slot and it may not be on the day you want to see me.

Flu Shots

If you had to pick one year to get a flu shot, this is the one. It would help me out a lot if everybody received a shot or FluMist nasal spray, then if you get sick I know it is not that type of flu. Adults and kids over 12 years can get the vaccine through most grocery stores. I will only have vaccine for children less than 12 years old.

The first shipment of H1N1 flu vaccine will be delivered to the Health Departments for high-risk patients in October, and it will be available through some pharmacies for in November, as the mass vaccinations start. I will not be a H1N1 vaccine clinic, but I will keep the website updated on where you can get the vaccine, if you wish. The closest Health Department Immunization Clinic is Renton Public Health Center, 3001 NE 4th St.

Health Care Reform

No matter what you think about health care reform, change is coming and it is important for us all to use our collective voices and votes. There is a great short film produced by an Emergency Room physician in Portland, OR that presents all sides of this complicated issue. It can be accessed through www.ourailinghealthcare.com. I would encourage you to familiarize yourself with this issue as it will not only dramatically affect us in our lifetime but will have a profound effect on generations to come. Send your opinions to our leaders – links are below.
President Obama -- http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/
Office of the Surgeon General -- Phone: 301-443-4000/Fax: 301-443-3574
Senator Maria Cantwell -- http://cantwell.senate.gov/contact/ -- phone: 202-224-3441
Senator Patty Murray -- http://murray.senate.gov/email/index.cfm -- phone: 202-224-2621
Washington State Congressmen List -- http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml#wa

Health Notes

I am frequently asked about what I do to maximize my immune system and prevent illness, since I am exposed to sick people every day. Below is what I do for myself and my kids. We still get sick, but frequency and intensity of our illnesses have been decreased with this regimen. Keep in mind that I do not care if you buy these supplements from me or online; I just want you to have the right stuff. As I have told many of you, I am lucky enough NOT to only sell supplements for a living.

Daily Immune Supplements for Kristina
• Pharmax Liquid Multivitamin, 2 capfuls per day in 2 liters of water.
• Vitamin D 2000-4000iu per day.
• Pharmax HLC probiotics, 1-2 capsules per day.
• Thorne Green tea capsules, 1-2 per day.
• Thorne IM-Encap or Phytogen, 1-2 capsules twice a day
• Xymogen IgG Pure, 1-2 scoops per day.
• Xymogen IgG, 2 capsules twice a day (only if I start to feel sick)
Daily supplements for Ila and Kian (sometimes Kian won’t eat anything I give him)
• Multivitamins (gummy vits from Costco).
• Pharmax Probiotic straws, 1 straw every 2-3 days.
• Xymogen IgG Powder, 1 tsp per day OR 1 tsp twice a day when ill.
• Wise Women Herbals, Herbal CE 1, ½ tsp at night when exposed to illness or ill.
(of note, kids absorb Vitamin D better than adults, so no supplement is recommended)

Daily activity, even a 10 minute walk outside, helps the body to maintain balance and function appropriately. Vigorous activity, such as a hike in the middle of the winter, stimulates “leukocytosis” and increases the white blood cells in the body. And, for the last time, you really are what you eat, and although a twinkie can survive on the shelf, fresh and new, for many years, you cannot. As we age, our body’s response to the fuel we give it is amplified, so eat 5 servings of fruits and veges per day, cut down on simple carbs like sugar and white flour products, and eat lean proteins like chicken, turkey and fish. When possible, choose organic, locally grown food, as it really does make a difference in taste and residual free radicals from chemicals in the body. And it makes you feel good to buy food from your neighbors.

So it is not easy to stay healthy on a daily basis, but it pays off when you don’t have to check out for a week because of illness. I am here for you if you need me!

Kristina